Howdy Grogs of War,
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to play Red Winter’s full 32 Turn (Dec 8-12: We played 14/15 turns and had to leave due to scheduling) Campaign.
This was the first time I had the chance to play the campaign which went rather well for the both of us.
Red winter is published by GMT games and covers the Soviet-Finnish Conflict of 1939 in the area of Tolvajarvi, Finland.
Things I love:
- Rules are great for beginner to grog level.
- Adding the optional rules make the game more fun, I use about 4 to 5 of the options, and I recommend you find your favorites too. It adds to the game.
- The map is easy to navigate.
- The Soviets. Maintaining control of the roads is imperative – and armor/arty rocks – Mass waves of Soviets. Bonfires…
- The Finns. Hit and Run tactics, the satisfaction one would get from sacrificing to the war gods a company of Finns to destroy an artillery park.
Things I dislike:
- There are little things you need to be sure of, assaults – they are not as great as one would think…
- Dug-In Finns
- Soviet Artillery is a multiplier…at times could make it a quick win under the right circumstances, and coordination with armor and infantry, it can be devastating.
- Terrain visibility: You can see the edges of some hexes – sometimes trying to explain this to a new player can be difficult for them to fathom…I am glad I highlighted it.
Summary: Buy the game if you can, when you can or pre-order it as a p500 asap.