This past weekend I had the opportunity to play a Battle of GMT’s GBoH Series: Hoplite – (Specifically) The Battle of Marathon (490 BCE)…
I chose to play Marathon due to my anticipation of a recent purchase. The Battle of Marathon – Krentz – (Thanks bigboardgaming.com for the recommendation) – My goal is to recapture my thoughts on the battle, to play it openly to see if I can put into check (myself) either side due to opportunity.
I have bias; I am Pro-Athenian, the defenders. (of Democracy and Hellene Society)
So I took a little time to drop my bias, and see where and how Datis could potentially break the Athenians.
A few characteristics of Hoplite and the battle of Marathon.
Distance of armies? Well, our primary source Herodotus states “a distance not less than 8 stadia” which is about 1500 metres. Correct!
- Hoplites hexes are calculated at 100 yards each (91 metres). (Correct by the eye and scale)
- Hoplites Terrain Characteristics are to scale for the engagement to ensue.
The overall terrain is pleasing to the eye and not too plain. I like that. Historically speaking, nothing is certain in regards to terrain/situation. We use what we can to verify!
The history in summary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Marathon Give it a read….I’ll spare all that want to get better source material/details on the battle.
The View from Above
Orders of Battle
The Athenians and Plataens under Miltiades and Kallimachos
Note: [a] = Use as Single Sized Unit, [b] = Half Depth Deployed HO Units
- No OC
- No modified Int DR
- FC may attempt Momentum w/o OC
- No Trumping
- All three are FC’s for HO/SK Cmd (5.52)
The Persian Army under Datis and Artaphernes
Note: [a] = Greek Mercs in Persian Service, [b] = Elite Persian Infantry
- No OC, no mod to int. dr.
- FC may attempt momentum w/o OC
- No Trumping
- Datis is FC for MI and LI
- Artaphernes is FC for Cav – Special Rules for Reinforcements
- Initiative: Athenians for turn 1 and 2
- Leader Ratings are marked as an exception since neither side have OC’s
- Athenian Eight Stadia Run: Replaces 6.21/27 Special Rule
- Retreat Edges:
- Athenians: South Edge: 4237-424 inclusive or SW edge 1844-2644 Inclusive.
- Persians: NE Edge 00xx Hex Row
Victory: Athenian W/Draw totaling at least 40 RPs have been eliminated. The Persians, W/Draw when units with RP totally at least 35 RPs have been eliminated.
Totals: 10 Athenians (76RP) , 20 Persian units (113 RP).